Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Future Plans

People ask me what my future plans are and I really don’t have an answer for them, which usually frustrates them. I now have an answer for them…
A couple weeks ago I started noticing a cockroach here and a cockroach there but it wasn’t that big a deal…I was busy with my sister and brother-in-law in town. Then I started to notice more and more as the weeks went on. When my parents were here they helped me find spray that would kill them. Since they have left we have all noticed them. It has gotten so bad that I want to gag. Yesterday I couldn’t stand it anymore so I started the huge task getting rid of them, and first washed all the dishes in hot water and then put them away from the cupboards and drawers. After everyone, but Tesfanesh, had gone to bed we started spraying. We lifted up the little mats that all the dishes sit on and there were hundreds. The spray was so potent that after seconds we were coughing and trying to breath. After they would drop on the ground we would hurry and step on them before they could run for safety. Both of us were totally grossed out. I finally made it to bed around mid-night – which is really late for me here. Today after breakfast Meseret, Missaye and I started to clean the kitchen. We moved everything that wasn’t attached to the wall…which included the bottom cabinetry. We used diluted antiseptic as cleaner after we sprayed more. After cleaning all the walls and cabinets we started in on the stove. I knew that they lived in the stove so we started to take it apart, and the more we unscrewed the more we were grossed out. We had to take apart some wires to get a large piece off and so I took a photo of which wires went were…it was a good thing too. We lifted a small corner of the fiberglass and I actually let out a little scream. I decided right then and there that it was coming off. I grabbed wire cutters and a razor blade and it came off with out a hitch. They wanted to just throw it away so I had to explain why we had to keep it. After explaining it twice they finally got it…well at least I think so. I sprayed the oven/stove so much that we moved it outside. Then came the fun part of squishing the ones that dropped to the ground. Meseret then had to make lunch on the little charcoal stove. Missaye and I finished up with the stove and them moved on to the other appliances. I cleaned the fridge while she cleaned the injera maker. After we finished with those we moved on to the floor. Instead of using mops we cleaned the floor Talcott style….we used our rags and got on our hands and knees and started scrubbing. We had just started when Mesert called us for lunch at 2:30pm. After lunch Missaye went back to the floor while I put the stove back together before either of us forgot how to do it. I had to refer to my pictures a couple time to get the wiring correctly. We both finished right around the same time. I have never in 5 months of being here seen the kitchen look so good. I was tempted to put everything back into the cupboards but I want to make sure they are dead. If they’re not I don’t know where else they could be. My hands are so dry from the antiseptic, but I feel like I accomplished a lot today.
…I should either be an electrician or an exterminator.

1 comment:

Maria and Family said...

Oh my gosh!! How gross was that? I am terrified of roaches so you are my hero :) The thought of them...eww! Way to go :)