Wednesday, March 11, 2009

#19 Squishy Face

On Sunday Israel and Alemu came into my room right before I was about to get up. Israel’s eyes were almost swollen shut. He looked Chinese. I asked him (through Alemu) if he ate anything different or if he was stung by a bee or bit by a spider. No was his reply to all the questions. I got out the antihistamine medication and gave him one. Simegne came for her weekly check on the kids and I asked her what she thought it was. Her answer stunned me and made me angry. “If his feet were swollen too then it indicates a kidney problem but since his feet are fine just watch him for three days and then we will see. Don’t worry…these things happen all the time here.” I asked her about a possible allergic reaction…nope she didn’t think it was that. “Ok in America someone’s face just doesn’t swell up for no reason. And if it is a kidney problem why are we not at the doctors?” Again she said not to worry he will be fine. I asked him if he still wanted to go to church and he said yes. We made our way to church and immediately Philipa asked if he had an allergic reaction. So I’m not crazy or paranoid. After church it was time for him to take more medicine…this time I gave him two because the swelling hadn’t gone down much with one. We went out to lunch with Philipa and her family and all of the sudden he became quiet and upset. He did this last Sunday so I just thought he was overwhelmed and shutting down. Philipa asked me if the medicine I gave him was an antihistamine…duh Emily…of course that’s why he is tired…Benadryl will do that to anyone. Since I gave him a larger dose he reacted differently than in the morning. When we made it home he laid on the spare bed with the other kids and watched a movie. I gave him another dose around bed time and he again just shut down. I walked him to his room and he just stood there so I found his pajamas and helped him get dressed. As soon as his head hit the mattress he was asleep. It is Monday night and his face is almost back to normal. No more squishy faced Israel.
I lied Tuesday morning he woke me up again…this time his eyes are swollen as well as his top lip. I checked inside his mouth (good advice Autumn) and saw that his teeth are rotten. Dad I hope Dr. Hernandez can do miracles. I made him brush his teeth and told him he had to do it everyday twice a day…we’ll see how well he does. Apparently there is a dentist that a lot of the SIM missionaries go to…I might take him there in a couple days. Wednesday his face was fine…if it is swollen tomorrow he goes to the dentisit.

No comments: