Wednesday, March 11, 2009

#10 It's Contagious

The virus that Kanesa had has spread to all the babies but fear not all ye faithful listeners they are in good hands. It first started with Muna…she was vomiting and had diarrhea. Then is passed to Yabsira, Ruth and Enqutatash. We tried to keep Lily away from them as much as possible. On Christmas Ilie told me that Lily sounded really bad. I put my ear to her chest…she did not sound good. I called Philipa and she confirmed that we should go to the hospital because she is so small. After dropping Ilie off at the airport we finally made our way to the hospital. The doctor listened to her chest and said she has bronchiolitis – inflammation of the bronchioles. She was started on medication by injection form and we were told that she had to come back for five days to continue the medication. Luckily Simegne (Sim – eye), the Ethiopian nurse that comes to the house once a week, was on call. She said she would bring Saturday and Sunday’s dose to the house so that it would save a money and time. She also said she would teach me how to give shots in the thigh. This was a little scary because she is so small but it was also so thrilling. I also told her that the babies were sick – she said she would bring an IV bag and that it would save money to do it at the house than to take them to the hospital. Saturday came around and Yabsira was super sick. She was drinking so much ORS (oral rehydration salts) but with the vomiting and diarrhea she was very dehydrated. Simegne started her on an IV and gave her the same medication that Lily was on. She told me how to give Lily her injection and then walked away. I asked her to come back and watch to make sure I was doing it correctly. When she left I took the IV out and Yabsira looked so much better. She still had diarrhea but the vomiting subsided with medication. I asked Simegne to come back on Monday because Ruth and Enqutatash were starting to get sick as well – I also asked her to buy more medication and IVs. When Monday rolled around those two were in such bad shape that she started them on antibiotics and an IV. I continued to administer injections to Lily, Yabsira, Ruth and Enqutatash. It is now Friday and I can finally say that the diarrhea has stopped and all the babies are doing much better.

No comments: