Monday, March 23, 2009

Burdened Soul

A couple nights ago I asked where the laundry lady’s daughter went to during the day while she worked. Tesfanesh said that she played in the street and that she went home for lunch to her neighbor’s house who fed her. This whole time I thought that she was married and that her daughter was in preschool. I felt so bad and had this huge burden to do something. I don’t know how she concentrates on doing anything. If I were she I would be worried about my child the whole time. I know that she doesn’t make enough money to send her to school. So the next day I asked her to find out how much it cost to sent her to school for one month. She came back the next day and I was pleased and horrified at the same time. I was pleased because it only costs $8 a month and horrified that I hadn’t done this sooner. So I gave her money for the registration fee, her first month and a backpack (every little kid needs a backpack). Today was her first day of school. She came by after to show me her backpack – which was empty – so I got some crayons, paper, coloring book, pencils and a pencil sharpener. I also gave her new shoes, a My Little Pony and a stuffed animal. She was so excited. Her mom told me that she slept with her backpack the night before. The backpack was so stuffed with awesome stuff that it wouldn’t close and it was really heavy. Her mom tried to carry it for her but she refused and wouldn’t let anyone take it from her.
So everyone who gave me money to come over here, know that you are sending a little girl to school and giving her mom some piece of mind. I think I am going to set up a small fund for her so she can continue her education. If you would like to help financially please email me. Thank you.

7 comments:

Maria and Family said...

You gave me goosebumps. wow. What a difference you have made in that sweet baby girls life. I have 4 children. I can not imagine ANY of them playing in the street all day without me...how awful. You did good :)

Anonymous said...

Emily-

We would love to contribute financially. Should we contact your mother?

Heather Bailey

christa said...

You continue to awe and inspire me Em. I am so lucky to have you in my life...and so is everyone else who knows you. Maybe you can set up a pay-pal donation account and put a link up on your blog?

Love you tons and tons and miss you just as much! You're a blessing to all of us each day!

Rebecca said...

Emily,
I did not realize you had a blog. If you can show Hiwot my blog she can see pictures of Yakob. I know she would love that.
www.kyfamilyforfaith.blogspot.com

Rebecca Maas

Three2Five said...

How absolutely precious. Thank you for making a difference in this little girl and so many other's lives. What a life changing experience!

Jana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jana said...

How precious! I just saw your blog for the first time today. My husband and I are friends of Autumn and Brian's. We got to meet your nephew last weekend in San Diego. He's adorable!
I think it's amazing what you are doing! I admire your sacrifice and faith that He will provide for all your needs! I am looking forward to reading in the days to come, but I have some catching up to do!!!
I too like the idea of setting up a paypal account on your blog for your fund. It would make it so much easier and convenient to drop in a few dollars every now and then. I definitely would!!!
God Bless you!
Jana Best