Wednesday, March 11, 2009

#2 Hallelujah...Amen

One Sunday afternoon little Eyob was outside and I swear he was leading church. He was under the laundry line with a tall laundry basket in front of him and the other kids on the other side of it. From my room I could hear him shouting “Hallelujah!” and the other kids shouting in response “Amen!” From then on you can hear almost every day one child saying “Hallelujah!” and everyone else shouts back “Amen!” One afternoon Eyob was leading “church” and Buzenesh (Lily’s mom who is not a Christian) started yelling at him to stop. He started preaching to her right there and then. Tesfanesh told me that he said that Jesus was his Father and that he wasn’t sad. Apparently I didn’t get the whole story as to why he said that but it doesn’t matter. It is a miracle that a 3 year old understands that. Buzenesh doesn’t tell the kids to stop anymore nor does she practice her religion. (I’m not sure what religion she was following but she couldn’t eat meat or drink milk on Wednesdays and Fridays.) One day while we were out in the field playing a small herd of cows came grazing our way and he called out very sincerely in Amharic, “In the name of Jesus leave.” They wandered away. Tesfanesh and I had a good laugh. I think he will be a great Evangelist when he is older.

No comments: