Wednesday, March 11, 2009

#21 Bobby (Ethiopian Christmas Eve)

After we got back from the zoo Tesfanesh and Alemu went shopping to buy food for Christmas lunch. Philipa’s daughter Hannah spent the night to help me get everyone’s stockings ready. Tesfanesh brought back a male sheep…I thought she was going to bring back a couple chickens but no she brought back a live sheep. The kids were enraptured by the beast in the front grass area. They crowded around him in a semi-circle and just watched him for 5 minutes…until they realized all he was going to do was eat the grass. The beast then full realized there were 10 children standing there watching him – I don’t think he appreciated it because he started wandering off to the back. The kids followed him almost taunting and provoking him with how close they were getting. All of the sudden (well not really…it was more like when he got to the back and had no where else to turn and found no more grass) he turned around and started chasing the kids. They ran to the front and when I saw the beast chasing them I ushered them inside. Helina was the last of the runners and the sheep almost got her – but I was too quick for him. Hannah and I screamed when he climbed the two stairs and almost got inside the door – again I was too quick for him and he was shut out. Everyone went inside the living room and watched him eat more grass from the window. Soon the kids lost interest in him and they colored until dinner time. Hannah and I were getting the kids ready for bed when Tesfanesh came upstairs and said that she couldn’t find someone to kill the sheep. Hmmmm…what to do what to do. So we decided to name it. Hannah and I thought of a good name…Bob or Bobby as I tenderly called him.
Around 8pm two men came to the gate – one man just slit his troat and left and the other one took his skin off and then one more man came and actually butchered him. Hannah and I got our flashlights and cameras and took tons of pictures – it was my first killing. I had a hard time watching but soon Bobby was dead and laying in pieces in one of our laundry buckets. Bobby stunk so bad. After everything was done and over with I told Hannah that I didn’t think I could eat him tomorrow. We had a very late dinner…it was around 10 pm…and we had some of Bobby. I couldn’t do it. I think they understood but I’m not sure.
After dinner we went upstairs to get the stockings ready. Sue sent over just enough stockings and some glitter glue pens. We wrote everyone’s name on their stocking and sorted out the toys. We didn’t get done until 12:30am. I kind of felt bad because Hannah usually goes to bed around 9pm. Oops.

No comments: