Wednesday, March 11, 2009

#27 Princess Bride

You know the part of the movie where Buttercup is marrying Prince Humperdink and the minister says marriage funny? Today reminded me of that movie. It went to check my email after going to the U.S. Embassy with the Judd and Mellace (pronounced Ma-la-chi). I spent way too long there…I did have over 60 emails to read and respond to. It was getting dark fast so instead of taking the mini-bus and having to walk from downtown Alembank to the house I took a contract taxi. After I got into the taxi I asked how much it would be…he said 100 birr. Yeah right…it was just because I am white. I talked him down to 60 birr and that was only because he thought I am beautiful. Please. He was quiet chatty…and by chatty I mean flirty. He asked me to marry him about 15 times…no joke. I told him that the only reason he wanted to marry me was so that he could go to the U.S. – he acted insulted. Hahahahaha. Like there would be any other reason to propose marriage to a complete stranger. He told me about him wanting to go to a mediation class so find peace and joy. I was then able to talk to him about Jesus. He is Orthodox so he seemed to just brush what I was saying off because he thought Christian is Christian. Wrong. Although I don’t know much about the Orthodox faith I know they are different. I was kind of nervous talking to him about it…but it didn’t last long. He asked me if he could call his mother (whom he still lives with and he was around 30). I said sure. Then he said to tell her I am staying in Alembank tonight. What?!? Oh no you aren’t. Then he tried to tell me that he was going to stay at the house with me to talk about religion. I almost had him drop me off right then and there but it was almost dark. I am dreading the fact that he now knows where the house is. Ewwww. I don’t ever want to take a contract taxi – it’s not worth the risk of having him as a driver again. I should have said I was married.

No comments: