Monday, February 2, 2009

#1 Those Who Poop Together Stay Together

That's my version of "A Family that Prays Together Stays Together", in case anyone didn't get it. Yesterday I was walking upstairs on the balcony to the kid's room and I noticed that Melkamu and Tamirat were sitting next to each other poopoing. (The kid's have little potties that are outside the downstairs bathroom). Tamirat was reading a book and Melkamu was reading a piece of paper. Then Tamirat showed Melkamu something in his book. Iwent to my room and grabbed my camera but when I got back Tamirat was through with the book. Too funny. Today I took all the older kids to Bethel Hospital to get stool samples. Since they have been sick I decided that it was worth paying $1 USD per child to know if they have a parasite or bacterial infection. After explaining to the lab technician what I needed he gave me 12 little cups with each's child name on it and 12 little sticks. When it was Tamirat's turn he couldn't go so I moved him to the side of the toliet and Helina joined him on it. She was terrified of falling in so it was hard for her to relax and go. I moved her to the other side and Temesgen sat in the middle part of the seat. I was impressed that three little butts could fit on one toliet. After what seemed like forever none of them could go so they all got down. Tesfanesh had Helina squat on the ground to try and go and she did. We tried that with Tamirat but he still couldn't go. I even got out my ipod to distract him but that didn't work either. I had to bribe some of them to push hard and try to go and they would get candy! It worked. We got 9 out of 12 children to poop. We are going back tomorrow for the other three.

No comments: