Monday, February 2, 2009

#2 I Wish He Hadn't Been Sick

Temesgen had a fever for three nights stright-it would only start at 6 pm. and would quickly go down with children'd tylenol. Last night he had a fever of 101.5-not too bad but I gave him a sponge bath and tylenol anyways. I called Simegne and she said not to worry and that she would come by the next day. I checked it again 30 mins. later and it had risen to 104.2! Holy smokes that's high...dangerously high. I called Habtamu to come and take us to Brook Hospital right away. I gave him some children's ibuprofen...it wasn't working at all. He was just moaning the whole time especially when I would change the washcloths and it would be cold. We finally made it to Brook and there were an unusual amount of men in the waiting room. Then one man passed through the waiting room with a small read and gold casket. Habtamu asked the nurse when it was our turn about it and this is what he told me. A two year old little boy was playing in the living room on the third floor of his house when the ball went down the stairs...the little boy followed it down all three flights. He had a skull fracture and was bleeding with spinal fluid out of his ears. An hour later about ten grown men came out of the room carrying the casket. The father was crying so hard and so was another man. I covered Temesgen's eyes as they were passing us. I know he probably wouldn't have understood but no four year old needs to see that. All of the paretns that were in the waiting room with the children got this empathetic/horrified look on their faces. I couldn't look at the men as they left- all I could look at was the little casket. Outside of the waiting room I could hear the mother wailing as the little box was brought to her. Simegne told me today that the boy died right away but the parent's didn't know that and brought him anyways. I wish Temesgen hadn't benn sick because I can't get the picture of the little casket or the sound of his mother out of my head. Temesgen is on antibiotics and didn't have a fever tonight!!!

No comments: