Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Oh what a day and by day I mean the last couple days...

It has been crazy to say the least. Monday was an awesome day. I went to the Wild Animal Park with a very special family - the Jung's (pronounced Young's). He was one of my Bible professors that I ended up babysitting for my freshman year. Ever since I have babysat for them for entire weekends...I just love their children. After a long day of walking my friend Jeff picked me up on his way home from work and dropped me off in Mission Valley. Autumn had told me to keep monday night open because my dad wanted to make a really special dinner for me. This is very normal for Monday nights...it's his day off and he usually 'creates' something spectacular. So Autumn and I went to Target to waste time before we needed to be home for my surprise dinner. When I walk inside my front door there were way more than 8 people...there were 38 people. Autumn and Brian were the masterminds behind the best going away party ever. Thank you so much for putting it together. And thank you dad for cleaning the house before everyone came over...I know Mom really appreciated it too. Oh and thank you Brian for picking out the red, yellow and green M&M's from the rest so that we could have Ethiopian flag colored M&M's. 
Yesterday was a crazy day...if you have read my blog before you know that I am a procrastinator. I started packing in the morning and finished shopping last night. I didn't just have to pack for a year long trip but I had to pack up the room I was staying in so that my mom can get it ready for my two new brothers. So, thank you Mom, Autumn and Dad for helping me pack everything up. I didn't get done with writing 'Thank You' cards until mid-night. I got everything that I will need for a while into two army canvas bags and one plastic tub (which U.S. Airway cracked). They all weight 50lbs...which is heavy!
This morning I had to get up at 4am! That is too early for anyone. I flew to
 Phoenix and switched planes there. Guess who was on my flight from Phoenix to D.C.? Go ahead guess...
John McCain. That's right. He was sitting in first class and as I was walking back to my seat I looked over and there he was reading the newspaper. So of course I called my mom right away. Most people didn't recognize him but a few of us did...and boy he looks old without all the stage makeup on. Anyways, I am in D.C. right now waiting for my flight to Addis Ababa which leaves in a little less than 2 hours.
Thank you everyone who has supported me whether it be financially or through prayer...I truly appreciate it. And thank you once again to my family...they are keepers and I wouldn't trade them for anything...even for Jake Peavey & Khalil Greene. I love you all so much and I miss you already. 

This is my family at my graduation this summer.

8 comments:

Janky said...

jeff jahnke (pronounced yonkey)

Ann Talcott said...

I Love You Emily! Yesterday was a good day. Lots of things accomplished. Just wished that we had done some of it earlier. But it all turned out well. Sorry about the knife. Dad said to heade his warnings. I wish that you were here but I am glad that you are doing what God has called you to do. Write more soon! Mom (pronounced Mom)

christa said...

Love you, Em! I'll be checking this at least twice daily....because now that you have a blog, and you're on the other side of the world...I HAVE to know what you're doing at all times! :)

I really am excited for you...you're going to do such great things, big and small. You're such an inspiration to me....always have been.

I'll be praying for your safe arrival and that you get settled in smoothly.

Ron & Maria said...

I admire you!!! My husband and I are adopting siblings from Ethiopia and I've been following your sister's blog - through others that she's commented on - and want you to know that what you are doing is AWESOME! We want to serve in Ethiopia long term. I'll be following you in hopes to learn more! Prayers for safety.
Maria

ishankster said...

wassup? are you there yet? do you miss the shanksters?

lisa page said...

lisa page (pronounced awesome -- the "g" is silent)

Kyle Taylor said...

EMILY! I can't believe you are there already. I substituted high school PE today and it reminded me of freshman year PE with you. In each class there were only like 2 girls that would participate, and I kept thinking "that was me and Emily..."


We have you in our prayers daily. Be safe. I love you :)

Unknown said...

WE all miss you too! I hope your first few days have been going really well! Write more when you get the chance...

-Shawn