Thursday, December 4, 2008

Little Things

Here are some little things that I have wanted to post but have been unable to.

Reliability
I have come to realize that having power all the time is not going to happen here in Addis. One night I was trying to make brownies in the little muffin tins so that everyone will get some and the power went out...not once or twice even, but three times...during all three batches. The brownies were hard as a rock by the time they were done.

Attack of the Villagers
On November 20th we were told that four more children would be coming to the house. That night six more children came and seven adults. The house is very crowded now. My two brothers were in that group of children and it has been a blessing to get to know them. Alemu is so sweet and wonderful. Israel is nice but likes to play with toys.

Heartbreak
I had to give up my baby wipes to the actual babies. I learned to shave my legs using baby wipes, wash myself when we don't have water and many other things. I am very sad now.

Mmmmm Mmmm Injera
We got an injera maker at the house and Meseret is now making injera three times a week. It is actually really good. So don't worry I'm not starving. I would post pictures but it takes forever to email them.

Wooha is Life
That means water in Amharic. It is so vital to us. We usually get running water for two days and then we have to rely on a water tank outside. I haven't been showering as often but I am managing very nicely...I am glad I brought a hat!

EMT Skills
I finally got to use my EMT skills on Sunday! Ayanna broke his left arm. We had to take him to four different clinics and hospitals to get it set and casted. He was such a trooper he only cried when they were setting it. The doctor gave him valium and so he was a little loopyf or the rest of the night. He is getting used to having a cast and is doing much better.

I have been enjoying all of the new kids and parents too. The parents are slowing going back to their villages after they appear in court so things are settling down some.

I will try to post again soon.

Emily

*Emily can't access blogger in Ethiopia. She is typing out posts on her computer but has to go to an internet cafe to e-mail them in. She will try to go once a week.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

wow, emily, i'm proud of you. miss you. i wonder if you can shave with baby oil or something? and moisturize at the same time? :)

ishankster said...

You are awesome Emily! So cool to hear a little bit about whats going on there. Love ya!